Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Counting Days

Every now and then I get to grooming a pet I've known for years.  Today, Duke came in for a groom and his Dad told me how Duke hasn't been feeling too good and how he's been giving Duke double meds for arthritis.  Duke's been sleeping a lot and when Dad said "wanna go see Dede" ....Duke somehow put all his pain aside and jumped up and ran around like a sprint car ready to see me.  When he got here Duke came right in as he always has for over six years.  He was a champ on the table.  We did a video unlike most of other visits which included  a few pictures here and there.  I could hear his soul tell me how he was getting old on me.  I actually felt this last month when they came in.  But, this month the feeling is stronger.  So, I touched Dukes back during his bath...softly ran my hand down his rubbled body with lumps and soft silver fur from his schnauzer breed.  His eyes tinted gray looked at me and smiled.  He spoke to me in ways only sign language can read.  He is staring at me thru the cage right now while I type this all out.  Oh how I love you Duke.  :)  We didn't push his groom too hard today.  Got the hair off.  Blew dry like normal just not too picky.  Went over the coat again but not excessive.  Got him on and off the table in 30 minutes just so that he could take it easy and I don't push him "over the edge" as I call it.  Over the edge is when a pet is old and we do every thing we can to get the groom good but it burns them out energy wise and we could lose them due to the stress in the days following a groom.  No hair cut is worth that; wouldn't you agree? 

Take a minute today and love on your pets and really look at them.  Right in the eye and see them.  I do :)

He loves me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment