Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Late Night

Ahhhh, what a night.  Got done grooming around 945pm.  Late  nights are tiring.  Got home.  Let the doggies release themselves and toss themselves all over the place from missing me.  But, tonight had a couple different situations occur.  It started out with a client I hadn't seen since Aug 2009.  The pet wasn't SEVERELY matted but much of the back legs and hips were and the front legs would need additional work to keep the hair.  The back of the dog was good.  The face, matted under the chin and under all the hair.  Dad refused to let me go short on the hair cut. I said the only thing I can do then is cut all the matted areas short and the pet would look silly for about 2 weeks and you all will have to have a sore eye on the dog.  But, then he refused to have his pet looking silly.  He called the wife who said "no short hair cuts"....so after saying "sorry but I won't put your pet or me in danger" I won't cut your pet trying to leave the matted hair long nor would I brush that pet out until it has brush burn all over the heiny.....he decided to find somewhere else to go.  I gave him some referrals.
On the next pet that came in it was a great great long term client of mine.  Her nails were so severe that she had definitely been walking on them for some time.  Months...since Nov 2010.  The first thing Dad said to me was she isn't walking on one of her back legs...oh my I thought.  I've known this dog since it was in the palm of my hand and I tell you, this definitely touched my heart.  So, I put her on the table and started roughing her in (getting all the hair we won't need so dry time is less).  I decided after seeing her stance on the table to cut her nails so she wouldn't be going thru more pain.  Did that and found all her nails were excessively long.  Probably causing knee issues if not more.  So, I got the nails right down to the quick (vein)! She was nervous letting me know I was close, but truly, it was perfect where I cut the nails to.  After the rough in and into the tub....she slouched and I could then tell how much pain she was in.  FOLKS, nail trimming should be done every 4 to 6 weeks...it's so important.  I called mom to let her know that baby girl should get in tomorrow to the Vet.  Usually I'll monitor the situation and advise to wait 24 hours...but unfortunately for this baby, time was all used up and her knee ligament was totally loose and separated.  I gave her a low cost groom price and dried her and let her rest.  Mom was totally fine with that.  They will be seeing the vet tomorrow.
This last note makes me a little nervous.  The last doggie was a simple bath package, but I still did the face feet and sanitary cut on him since he's a poodle and he looked like a mess.  Well, he almost bit me when I was working with his back foot.  Thank goodness he doesn't have any front teeth.  But, he ISSSS a senior and I should be more careful. lol!  Well, after working with this poodle tonight....I had to let mom know to spend some time with her baby who is 14 years old that he may not have very much time left.....she said she's never lost her own pet and tears triggered in her eyes.  I said, I've been 99% right and hope that I'm not, but just in case....love on her baby boy now as much as she can.  

Grooming touches me in so many ways.  Good night dog lovers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment